EUROPEAN FAMILY THERAPY ASSOCIATION
CONNECTING FAMILY THERAPISTS AND TRAINERS
Words from the EFTA President
Hello to everybody, I am Umberta Telfener, the new President of EFTA.
I am very honored to have received this assignment which I personally care very much about.
I am in EFTA since 1991, first as an individual and from 2010 representing the Milan Institute of Family Therapy (Luigi Boscolo and Gianfranco Cecchin). I become a member of the TIC Board in 2016 and from November 2020 I was its Chair. Now I will act as your President and intend to do my very best.
Six are my goals:
- Consolidate the great change we have reached in the last year – among others the trustful collaboration among Chambers and the Statutes change – in order for EFTA to continue the trusting relationship we have formed;
- Use resources to help the Chambers build research networks aimed at increasing publications and grants and, most important, extend research methodologies to capture what we do. I think we could do it joining the practitioner’s research;
- Provide collaboration with Chambers to keep an interested contact with the systemic world for continuing training: as trainers we cannot stay still.
- Create a space for the young generations, looking for options for their growth and occasions to test themselves;
- Connect EFTA with the international community, with other worldwide systemic Institutions, building also strong links with EAP.
- Monitor the overwhelming threats to human wellbeing, ecosystem survival and mental health posed by climate change and biodiversity loss, that seems denied by mental health professionals as a form of collective denial.
I intend to finish this greeting note telling you something about me: I live in Roma, Italy, work in private practice and supervise private and public Institutions. I worked for 10 years in a Mental Health public structure, was an adjunct at the Health Post Graduate School of the University of Roma La Sapienza. l feel l am bossy but a listener, generous, strategic, I enter into conflict if needed in order to resolve issues and to enhance advancement, I am energetic and have leadership spirit and time.
Starting my mandate I thank the former President Monica White for holding EFTA in difficult times and take the lead hoping to follow her path and hoping in your feedback and active help.